Some recent advice I got,
either through people who I work for, through books and on
1) 1) Visualize your career as a jungle gym instead of a ladder. - Sheryl Sandberg
2) 2) You may be an expert adviser, a great analyzer, but ultimately what really determines your success is being an excellent decision-maker. - Brian Leach, Citi’s Chief Risk Officer said in the town hall meeting.
I think this is especially true for us who work in the quantitative field.
also commented on the entrepreneurial
spirit at work, and teamwork. Teamwork in a big company is most
4) 4) Be well prepared; do the homework, think ahead what you need to know to make a difference.
5) 5)Leadership is about having visions and strategies. Stay calm even when the world melts. & Communicate. – again, from Brian Leach
also found, Ida Liu, on
a. Build a strong network
b. Find good mentors
c. Understand your strength/weakness/your branding, shape your own career path based on that
d. Overcome the typical Asian stereotypes. Speak up about your accomplishment; leverage your peers and your team.
7) 7) My favorite career blog written by Penelope Trunk, advised on a checklist to see if you are indeed in a good job. A good job provides clear goals, provides a sense of control, provides unambiguous feedback, and stretches you without defeating you. Personally, I think we should never push too much to have a good job to begin with. Unless you are already perfect at what you are doing, otherwise, there’s still room to grow. The best opportunities are around the corner for those who are ready.
Most of us are born and
guided into financial realities. However, if there are any kind of
work you want to look for, but that’s not in your day-job, try to
bootstrap your work of
art (during spare time, most likely). That work on the side will
motivate you to continue fighting the good fight for your
craft, but which will also help you
build up secondary skills that may on
9) Lastly, when you do the deep soul-searching,
be a little honest about who you are. Discovering your unique
talents will not on